A classroom in a Maryville church caught fire early Monday
evening, causing evacuation during a Boy Scout meeting being held
According to Capt. Mike Sing of the Maryville Fire Department, the
meeting was being held at St. John United Methodist Church, 2201 E. Broadway Ave. During the
meeting, a fire alarm went off inside the church, and heavy smoke was discovered, causing immediate
The scouts were evacuated safely to a different area,
and firefighters were dispatched to the scene at approximately 7:02 p.m. The fire was under
control within 20 minutes and quickly extinguished.
quite a bit of smoke in the church,” Sing said.
electrical fan apparently sparked the flames and started the fire, according to
Approximately 20 firefighters from four units with the Maryville Fire Department,
with the assistance of two units from the Alcoa Fire Department, extinguished the
No one was injured.