County Commission approves cell tower regulations
By Joel Davis | (email@example.com)
Blount County Commission unanimously approved regulations that would encourage cell towers to be built in ways that would make it easier for them to blend into the background.
The new regulations require that “the design of the towers, buildings and related structures shall, to the extent possible, use materials, colors, textures, screening and landscaping that will blend them into the natural setting and surrounding buildings.”
In other business Thursday night, the County Commission approved a $19,000 budget amendment in the General Purpose School Fund to reflect a change in a state grant. It also voted 18-2 to allow $62,000 to be used from reserve funds for maintenance and repairs at the Townsend Visitors Center. Only Commissioners Jim Folts and Mark Hasty voted no.
The commission also approved items including:
• A resolution to approve an Institute of Museum and Library Services grant application for the Blount County Records Department.
• A resolution adding an additional portion of Harvard Street to the official roads list for Blount County.
• A resolution classifying the roads of Blount County.
• Setting a public hearing regarding judicial commissioners for 6:30 p.m. on March 6 in Room 430 of the Blount County Courthouse.
• Sending a draft debt management policy back to the Budget Committee for further discussion.