Fire damages wall, ceiling in Maryville residence
By Wes Wade | (firstname.lastname@example.org)
A mobile home sustained minor damage Tuesday night after a fire spread out of a fireplace at the Maryville residence.
Blount County firefighters responded to 212 Michelle Place at 7:48 p.m. to a report of a fire in the roof. Blount County Fire Captain Tim Ogle said a fire had been built in the fireplace in the living room and had burned up into the wall and ceiling just behind and above the fireplace.
“Somehow, some way, the fire got out into that area and had burned up into the ceiling,” Ogle said.
Firefighters, who began arriving at 7:58 p.m., had to remove sections of sheet rock in the wall and ceiling in order to extinguish the fire, which was burning between the ceiling and roof. Ogle said the roof itself was never on fire.
Four trucks and 12 firefighters responded and had the fire under control by 8:16 p.m.
“All of the damage was contained to the immediate area of the fireplace,” Ogle said.
Firefighters were also able to set up fans to pull smoke out of the residence before any smoke damage occurred inside.
The trailer is owned by Chris Brown. The renter, identified as Ronald Green Jr., escaped the residence unharmed.
Firefighters cleared the scene at 9:07 p.m.