Fire destroys home on McSpadden Road in Maryville
By J.J. Kindred | (email@example.com)
A Sunday morning fire destroyed a home on the 1900 block of McSpadden Road in Maryville.
Blount County Fire Chief Doug McClanahan said the Blount County Fire Department received a call on the fire about 10:30 a.m. There was a family with six occupants in the home, and they all escaped safely.
McClanahan said the fire was electrical. It started in the laundry room and quickly spread throughout the home, which was a total loss.
“The first firefighters that arrived on the scene reported seeing flames and heavy smoke,” he said. “The good news is that everyone was out safely.”
McClanahan said the some of the home’s occupants were in bed when the fire was discovered. The rest of the people inside were awake, heard a loud noise and saw smoke.
The homeowner, Brenda Potter, told The Daily Times that her daughter’s boyfriend was sleeping in a separate room and woke up, suddenly hearing popping and crackling in the ceiling.
“The smoke came through the vents in the ceiling of the house,” Potter said. “(The boyfriend) woke my daughter up, and she woke my grandson and my youngest son up, and then woke me up. I’m disabled and finally got off my bed, but before I got out of bedroom, the lights went out. But we all got out safely. I didn’t feel like we were in any danger.”
The fire compounded another recent loss for the family.
“It’s been bad on me,” Potter said. “We lost my husband about two months ago, and it’s just been hectic.”
Potter said the home was insured. She said the Red Cross came to the scene and would provide hotel accommodations for the night and would extend the stay if needed.
“It’s not like staying at home. I loved my home,” Potter said.
Her daughter, Nancy Potter, said she has a heavy heart for her mother since her father passed away recently, and the fire added more to her burden.
“I’m really hurt because my father passed away in July,” Nancy Potter said. “His belongings were still in there, and it was stuff we really wanted to keep. We cannot replace his picture from his last days. I’m really feeling sorry for my mother, but I thank God I was able to get them all out.”
The structure challenged the firefighters.
“It was a pretty difficult fire to put out,” McClanahan continued. “It was an older house that appeared to have been remodeled several times. The fire got into the attic and with a tin roof, it was really difficult to get to. We put out hot spots to make sure everything was clear.”
Smoke detectors silent
“We were fortunate that everyone got out safely,” McClanahan reiterated. “There were smoke detectors in the house, but they did not activate before they heard or saw the fire.”
McClanahan shared that as fall is now in full swing and with the winter months approaching, residents should check their chimneys before they are used.
Six Blount County fire trucks and 16 firefighters went to the scene, along with Blount County Sheriff’s deputies and Rural/Metro ambulance service.
It took about 45 minutes from the time of arrival to contain the fire and get it under control. No firefighters were injured.