Local ALCOA Foundation grants total $300,000
By Bob Norris | (firstname.lastname@example.org)
ALCOA Foundation grants totaling $300,000 will go to 10 local nonprofit organizations in Blount, Knox and Sevier counties in Tennessee and Graham County, N.C., ALCOA Tennessee Operations officials said Monday.
ALCOA’s Community Advisory Board, made up of 10 local businesses, community and government leaders, evaluated more than 50 grant proposals before recommending projects for ALCOA Foundation funding.
“We appreciate the help of the ALCOA Community Advisory Board and its guidance in evaluating this year’s proposals,” said Ken McMillen, ALCOA Tennessee Operations Location manager.
“Focusing ALCOA Foundation’s resources on programs that promote environmental sustainability and programs that promote workforce development and education make perfect sense for this location as we expand our operations into the automotive sector.”
In celebration of that expansion, ALCOA Foundation made a special $50,000 one-time grant to the East Tennessee Historical Society.
The grant will fund an exhibit that chronicles the past, present and future of manufacturing in East Tennessee. Upon completion, the exhibit will be on display at the East Tennessee History Museum and will then travel to schools and other museums throughout the area.
The 2013 grant recipients and funding amounts include:
• Boys and Girls Club of the Tennessee Valley (STEM education) — $28,000;
• East Tennessee Historical Society (education) — $50,000;
• Friends of Great Smoky Mountains National Park (STEM education) — $17,000;
• Graham Revitalization Economic Action Team (exit grant) — $10,000;
• Keep Knoxville Beautiful (environment) — $20,000;
• Pellissippi State Community College (workforce development) — $50,000;
• Richard Williams Leadership Development Academy (education) — $20,000;
• Tennessee Clean Water Network (environment) — $50,000;
• tnAchieves (education) — $25,000;
• University of Tennessee (STEM education) — $30,000.
ALCOA Foundation is one of the largest corporate foundations in the U.S., with assets of approximately $460 million. Founded 60 years ago, the foundation has invested more than $570 million since 1952. In 2012, ALCOA Foundation contributed more than $21 million to nonprofit organizations throughout the world.