Maryville couple escape fire on Best Road with dog; cat perishes
By Wes Wade | (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Two people and their dog escaped without injury after a fire started in the laundry room of their Maryville residence Saturday morning, though a cat perished in the blaze.
Blount County firefighters responded to 2646 Best Road at 8:06 a.m. to the structure fire, with the first units arriving four minutes later. Blount County Fire Chief Doug McClanahan said the first firefighters on scene reported smoke and flames coming from the eaves and front of the house.
McClanahan said a smoke alarm woke up the residents.
“From what we understand, immediately when the smoke alarm started going off the dog started barking,” McClanahan said. “They got up, smelled smoke, went to the laundry room door and opened it and were met by smoke and flames.”
The residents told firefighters they had some trouble getting out of the house, but were able to make it out safely.
“We were very fortunate that they got out safely, thanks to their smoke alarm,” McClanahan said. “The smoke alarm was the big thing. It woke them up and they got out safe.”
While the couple escaped with their dog, their cat did not make it out and died, McClanahan said. The fire, which was under control by 9:45 a.m., left considerable damage to the home. McClanahan said firefighters were able to save some of the couple’s personal belongings. Nine trucks and 17 firefighters responded to the fire.
While the fire did considerable damage, it is believed the home, owned by Scotty Ridge, can be salvaged, McClanahan said. Firefighters cleared the scene at 10:50 a.m.
The fire is believed to have started in the laundry room, though the cause of the blaze was not immediately known. McClanahan said the investigation would be turned over to the Blount County Sheriff’s Office.
McClanahan said as temperatures begin to drop, residents need to make sure they have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
“I’m thinking immediately we’re about to start up heaters and fire places, so let’s make sure we’ve got the alarms in place,” McClanahan said.
The fire department will visit homes of those without alarms to install and check those alarms free of charge. Those who need new alarms or existing ones checked can contact the Blount County Fire Protection District at 865-983-2133.