Residents unharmed in house fire
By Wes Wade | (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Firefighters responded to a house on Rosebud Drive in Maryville Saturday evening after a fire apparently started in an attic.
Blount County firefighters were alerted to the fire at 1916 Rosebud Drive around 5:30 p.m., and the Maryville Fire Department assisted with one truck and two personnel.
Blount County Fire Chief Doug McClanahan said the family and their baby got out of the house safely and that fire damage was confined to the attic. There was also some water damage to other parts of the home, McClanahan said.
The first Blount County unit on scene reported heavy smoke and flames coming from the attic area, but they were able to get the flames knocked down quickly, McClanahan said.
The fire chief said the fire does not look suspicious, but, as is typical procedure, will be turned over to the Blount County Sheriff’s Office for investigation.
Neighbors said the young couple who lives in the home moved in only recently, about a week ago.
McClanahan said the residents said they had started the dryer when a fire broke out in the attic shortly thereafter.
“If it’d been after they went to bed it could have been a bad fire,” McClanahan said. “It might not have set off any alarms in the living compartment until it was a very major fire. I don’t know how they noticed it, but I’m glad everybody got out.”
McClanahan reminded residents that with the winter months among us, it’s time to check your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they’re in proper and working order.