Six escape injury in Friendsville grease fire
By Wes Wade | (email@example.com)
Six people and a cat escaped injury early Wednesday evening after a grease fire started in the kitchen of their Friendsville residence.
The Friendsville Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to 311 W. College Ave. at 4:56 p.m. to a report of a grease fire in the kitchen, which was located at the rear of the residence.
Three trucks and 18 firefighters left the station at 5 p.m. and began arriving a minute later. They had the fire under control within five minutes. No damage could be seen from the outside of the home, though firefighters said the walls and ceiling in the kitchen where the stove was located were blackened from fire damage.
There was also heavy smoke throughout the residence.
Friendsville Friendsville Fire Lt. Shane Rogers said the fire started in a pot on the stove.
Three adults and three children were home at the time of the fire and escaped without injury. One of the adults went back inside the home in an attempt to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, Rogers said, and was treated for mild smoke inhalation.
“He was feeling a little nauseous,” Rogers said. “We assessed vital signs and gave him some oxygen.”
Rogers said the man checked out OK and declined medical treatment from emergency personnel. Firefighters also rescued a cat on the lower floor of the home.
The American Red Cross responded to provide temporary shelter for the residents. Friendsville Fire Chief Tom Greene said they would not be able to return for at least three days.
The home is owned by Oak Ridge resident Tim Bardam and was being rented by Brandy Dyke.