Woman, five children escape house fire
A woman and five small children escaped a basement fire late Friday afternoon at a Louisville residence. The cause of the fire was apparently electric in nature and started in or around a clothes dryer, firefighters said.
Blount County firefighters were dispatched to the residence, located at 1605 Flora Drive, at 4:12 p.m. after multiple smoke detectors alerted the residents.
Blount County Fire Chief Doug McClanahan said Tanya Shaver, a renter who lives in the home with her husband, Scott Shaver, and their five children, said she unsuccessfully attempted to turn on the dryer.
“The woman said she had just turned on the dryer and it didn’t work,” McClanahan said. “A short time later she smelled smoke and opened the basement door to find more smoke.”
The family is renting the two-story frame dwelling from homeowner Patsy Tidwell of South Briarcliff Circle, Maryville. They moved in about a month ago, he said.
Four trucks and nine firefighters began arriving on scene at 4:23 p.m. and had the fire under control within 12 minutes of arrival, McClanahan said. Blount County Fire Captain Tim Ogle said damage was mainly contained to the area around the dryer, which was located in the basement.
“There was some smoke damage throughout the basement and a small amount of smoke traveled upstairs,” Ogle said.
Since the basement was covered in concrete floors, water damage was not a major concern, Ogle said, though firefighters did have to damage part of the garage door to get to the fire since the dryer was located in the basement area of the garage.