United Way chair wishes joy for season
We’ve had such a successful year at United Way of Blount County, and I wanted to take a moment to thank the community for being part of our mission to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of our communities.
As board chair for 2012, I have had the unique opportunity to witness the impact United Way donors, volunteers and advocates have on the lives of over 50,000 local people.
• January — The students of the William Blount Interact Club and David Lazar were named the 2011 Volunteer Group and Volunteer of the Year.
• February — Nearly 100 volunteers visited and examined local social service programs to award $1,239,453 in competitive grants in the areas of Health, Education and Self-sufficiency.
• Summer — The Golf Tournament moved to June, allowing local student golfers to participate and volunteer during the event. Over 100 local high school students manned gas stations for the United Way’s Gas Day, showing the county that the volunteer spirit is strong.
• August — Charity Navigator, a national watchdog organization that rates charities in the areas of financial stability and transparency, awarded United Way of Blount County four out of four stars, only the second United Way in Tennessee given that honor.
• September — Two new partnerships between Haven House and New Hope, and Good Neighbors and Family Promise, were created with United Way funding.
• October — The Blount County Partnership named United Way of Blount County the 2012 Nonprofit of the Year. Wendy Wand, our Community Impact Coordinator, received the 2012 Bright Future Award.
• November — The 58th Annual Campaign ended successfully, raising $1,960,000, which was a 1 percent increase over 2011.
As December comes to a close, I wish you all the joy of the season, and I look forward to a new year of promise.
2012 Board Chair
United Way of Blount County
1615 E. Broadway Ave.
Maryville, TN 37804