A 23-year-old Maryville man died over the weekend after attending a fraternity party near Tennessee Tech University in Cookeville.

Paul Hamilton Ten Eyck, a wrestler at Maryville High School before he graduated in 2013, was found unconscious by Cookeville police shortly after midnight at the off-campus house of Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s TTU chapter.

School officials have suspended the fraternity pending an investigation into whether it violated the university’s Greek Life policies, which require that security officers be present at any parties with alcohol.

Officers arrived at the party after receiving reports about an unconscious person. Medical personnel attempted to revive Ten Eyck at the scene. He later was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Cookeville Police Capt. Bobby Anderson said the investigation is ongoing. No foul play is suspected.

Ten Eyck graduated from Tennessee Tech this summer with a degree in business management.

The fraternity chapter has had problems in the past. It was put on probation in 2015 after its house burned down, according to the campus newspaper, The Oracle.

The chapter was required to complete programming events, alcohol and risk- management training, and 1,000 hours of community service.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon has more than 230 chapters throughout the United States and Canada.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.