In 1926, the library moved from its first location to a vacated private residence known as the George Toole House. This historic home also served another key purpose during its past — as the Union Army headquarters in Maryville. The library operated there until 1931 when the Harper Memorial Library was built.

— Kathleen Christy

, information services manager at the Blount County Public Library

Shelby joined The Daily Times in 2019 as a reporter covering county government.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.